Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A jolly fourth of july






I hope everyone had a nice Fourth of July! We did. I always do.

I love the Fourth because it is easy fun. No presents. The food is good. Good friends/family. The mess stays outside. Baseball. Playing games in the yard. Swimming. Popcicles. Minimal traveling. Playing with fireworks. Watching fireworks.

It is a happy day to enjoy our country's freedoms as an expression of gratitude for it.

This year it sprinkled a bit but we were having so much fun that we stayed outside under our tree. Ironically, our new favorite tradition for the Fourth is whacking a pinata made in Mexico. Grant was impressed at my coolness when I explained what we do with a pinata. All day he had to clarify that he heard me correctly, "Mom, so, we can put candy in the 'pinlada' and hang it on the tree, and hit it with a baseball bat?" "Yes." (Then he would give me an I-think-I'll-burst-with-excitement-smile). It was a big "Hit". he he.

4 comments:

Brock and Kristina said...

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.
Hilarious pictures. I had to zoom in on every one to get the full effect. Grant is so funny!!!! Glad you guys had fun!

Ash said...

classic facial expressions! I can only imagine the joy that was going through that kids head. We missed you, no major catastrophes in this neck of the woods.

Unknown said...

I think the piƱata is an awesome addition!

Anonymous said...

Haha. Grant is really going at it and Henry looks like he's tickling it. :) Emily, you WOULD have a pinata on independence day. Also, my mom thought of you when she saw this blog. www.ourfoodstorage.com