Friday, January 30, 2009

Lesson learned.

I'm 25. This year I've noticed a lot of perspective changes in my self-talk and behavior. I recently learned a new life lesson...

Don't save Tiffany & Co. perfume for a special occasion.

Last summer I went to a memorable baby shower for a friend from dental hygiene school (Crystal Sanford). The theme was "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and so we ate fancy breakfast with virgin sunrise mimosas in fancy champagne glasses. The party favor came in a signature little Tiffany blue gift bag in the form of a sample-sized glass tube of Tiffany & Co. perfume....... I KNOW!

This party was such a treat for me because I love Audrey Hepburn.
(Some of my dear friends share in this adoration... they're probably watching Sabrina right now.)

So, I respectfully put the perfume in a safe place and reserved wearing it for fancy dates and romantic occasions. It smells glorious. I knew it might be a while until I could get my hands on an official bottle because I assume everything Tiffany blue is for the rich and famous.

I regret to tell you that I was cleaning the bathroom and it fell out of my cabinet into the sink and broke... every drop down the drain.
The moral of the story...

Live in the moment, Emily.
Holly Golightly would have worn that perfume on any ordinary day.

11 comments:

MaryLou said...

That is an awesome lesson to learn at only 25...it takes most people a lot longer. It is the same principle as thinking about the people on the Titanic who passed up dessert. You are adorable.

Stephanie said...

i agree with roxie- that's awesome and now you have helped me learn the lesson at age 24- it's the lesson that keeps on teaching! :)

and so true, holly have indeed worn that perfume for any day of the week with those fancy ear plugs of hers... and not just a trip to the powder room (did anyone ever figure out EXACTLY what that means?? not me really... but i can make some guesses...)

Stephanie said...

oh and i specifically thought of you when i put that list up on my blog- you and your cabin fever so i am so glad you saw it and that it gave you ideas- yesssss!

Summer said...

Fun story Em. I put on perfume every day even though the only thing I will end up smelling like is baby spit-up, but it is one of those things that seems silly, but makes you happy.

VicandNanc said...

Oh, this is a SAD story, but at least you have a memory of a very cute baby shower! That sounds like such a fun shower! I do the same thing with cute paper, bows, stickers, etc. I have a million cute things I keep saving for who knows what!

Spencer P. said...

I guess we should have fancy dates and romantic occasions more often . . . can't waste any more perfume.

Reed and Jen said...

I love Audrey Hepburn! My favorite actress of all time! I would hang a picture of her in my furute home but reed would think it was too girly :) Sad day about the perfume- I save some Dolce and Gabbana Perfume I got free when I worked at the sephora warehouse and it went bad (there was a tiny bit left)

Reed and Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

Sorry to hear about your lost perfume. I can sympathize with you. When I was little I had a favorite perfume that I didn't use too often so I could save it. Well, one day my sister's friend came over and used it all! I was very distraught. I am still a little sad about it and it was probably 17 years ago.

Unknown said...

You know I love Audrey Hepburn. I'll never forget the movie "How to Steal a Million" that you put in my mail drop one day. You know, you always did remind me of her in that movie and many of her movies in fact.

Ty and Kumari said...

ooooohhhhhh EM!!!! That is sooo sad and I cannot but laugh!!! I know how that feels!!! Now Spence knows what to get you this March (7)??!! for your big Anniversary!!!!!! How are you doing girlfriend!!!! I MISS YOU!!!!!