Monday, October 6, 2008

My new BFF.

Here is the awaited tutorial on my INGENIOUS mom idea... (inspired by my grandmother, Lois)


1. the cover.

For the front and back, I took a basic binder apart.
(just cut and peel off the plastic and the cardboard comes right out)
I cut it to the size I wanted with a box knife. (mine happens to be 8.5"high, 7.5"wide)
I lined the inside cover with black card stock (spray adhesive to attach)
Then, I adjusted my 3-hole puncher to be a 2-hole puncher on the 5 1/2 inch setting.
It easily punched through the cover. I cut some white paper and card stock to the same size and punched in the same places.


note: I needed 1.5" rings to bind it. The ribbons are obviously optional, but in my opinion, necessary. If you use ribbon, you may want to seal the ends with superglue or something so they don't fray... as mine did after a couple days.


2. Tabs

I made 16 sections. There are a lot of ways to make and attach the tabs but I used blank mailing label stickers to make the tabs by cutting them to the length I wanted and then just folding them over each piece of card stock divider. First I wrote the section names by hand, but later I decided to make new ones on the computer. I just printed them right onto the mailing label stickers. The labels I wanted: To Do, Calendar, Contacts, Schedules, Groceries, Coupons & Ads, Shopping, Meals, House, Family Activities, New Recipes, Projects, Trips, Gifts, Wish list, and Holidays.

The ribbons behind each tab make it easier to open the planner and turned out pretty cute. I cut them about 3 inches long and attached them to the back of each piece of card stock behind the tab using a hot glue gun, but rubber cement might be better.


3. Features & Organization

Use envelopes inside the cover and every section to hold small papers, notes, invitations, tickets, etc. Attach using glue sticks, tape, or rubber cement.


I like to use blank paper for my to do lists, but the inside of each section is where you can customize it. Like using lined paper or a template.


I have used a glue stick a lot because it is a fast way to file magazine clippings, pictures, and other stuff that you don't want to slip out.


I made a couple templates, one for babysitters contact info., class schedule (including Spencer's), grocery list, and monthly calendars. I can email those excel templates if needed. Everyone has their own preferences with calendars and date-booking but I like to see a whole month at a time and have lots of room to write (so I left space at the top and bottom).




I have LOTS AND LOTS of ideas within each of the sections I listed, but decided to save you from the rambling.

If you are still in search of a good system for organizing your life with kids, the card-filing system is from Side Tracked Home Executives is awesome (thanks mom) and I still use that for meal planning and re-occurring daily, monthly, and other periodic to-dos.


p.s. the cupcake on the cover is from JoAnns... it is made for a t-shirt applique. spray adhesive.

Please post or email me pictures of your "BFF Lois" so we can share ideas and enjoy all the variations!

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

you had me at the start: cutting out the cardboard from a binder- genius! i want you to email me the templates for all of the things you mentioned that you could email. i definitely have my style of organization, but since its a life long obsession of mine i would love new ideas!

this is so fun and so up my alley. thanks!

Jessica said...

I love your organizational craftiness. For my BFF, I used a moleskin journal from Barnes and Noble, and then made little ribbon tabs. And I had tons of ideas for each section too. I had to keep moving stuff back and cutting more tabs!

Emily said...

Jessica -- I love your ideas! And you inspired a new one: I think I'll add a latch (velcro, ribbon tie, or button) to keep the cover closed. jessica, please comment again with your blog link so we can see pictures (if you blogged about it). thanks!

Anonymous said...

You should work for Martha Stewart!

Anonymous said...

Molie, when I grow, I want to be just like you! Great Job!! DAD

Kimberly said...

You are awesome. I think I might give it a try. And I totally need the Jamba recipes. And maybe Benson needs them too...

Camille said...

AWESOME.

Chelsi said...

Thanks for the info! I still use the 3x5 card box organizer idea that Taylor got from you... Love, love it!

Vanessa said...

I am impressed with your craftiness! Looks so functional AND its really cute at the same time! I love it!

Unknown said...

You are so creative, I'm impressed!
You always seem to get involved with the cutest things.

Anonymous said...

Okay, what I really love (besides the awesome "Lois") is that the pictures are taken right next to a bunch of toys. Seriously, I love that because not only does it show your amazing organizational skills, but the simultaneous juxtaposition of your busy life. Yet, you manage to get it all done.

I'm going to call my planner "Emily."

Mason Bourne said...

emily! that is a super cute idea! you are so creative!

Mason Bourne said...

...that comment was by lorie

The Dillinghams said...

Wow! Want to make one for me? :) I love to be organized, too, but I am not as crafty as you. But I definately plan to try to make something like that...but maybe not until next year!